Many of you may know I homeschool my youngest daughter, Emma. Well my little homeschooler has started a sewing class this semester that she is crazy about. Who would have thought? Not me – as much as I love most other kinds of crafting, the apple falls pretty far from the tree on this one. Lucky for me, Emma takes this class through our local homeschool co-op we are a part of 😉 But she came up with this project all on her own after being inspired by something similar she did in class. It’s so cute, I just had to show you too! I especially love the printables she designed you’ll find linked below for including when giving one of these hearts as a gift for someone who could use encouragement.
We thought it would be fun to plan to use these for “heart attacks” (love themed random acts of kindness). This would also make a great gift for next Valentines Day, or any time really. Here’s Emma and me with the the pillows she made us for Valentines Day 2015 🙂
Emma is 11 now but if you have a child who is pretty comfortable with basic hand-sewing stitches, I’d imagine this project could be completed by kids as young as 5 or 6, (with supervision of course)!
Handmade Heart Pillow Project Supplies:
Thread (same color as fabric)
Any Type of Wrapping Paper (We used a thick kind)
For the Letters:
Handmade Heart Pillow Project Instructions:
- First use wrapping paper (folded in half) to draw half a heart on the crease
- Cut out heart shape
- Unfold your wrapping paper
- Pin your piece of wrapping paper onto your fabric
- Cut out your fabric heart shape
- Pin the two fabric pieces together
- Sew your two pieces together using whipstitch demonstrated in below video, leaving a two inch hole at the bottom
- Turn your pillow inside out
- Stuff your pillow
- Sew up the two inch hole using the whipstitch
- Optional last step: cut out and sew on letters for recipient’s name to be sewn on pillow
- To see full video of these project instructions, click over to Emma’s brand new DIY YouTube channel, Cutie Creations!
Who do you know that could use a reminder of how much they’re loved? Have you ever thought about planning a “heart attack” for someone in need of a healthy dose of kindness and love? Tell us about it in the comments if you decide to plan something like this – we always LOVE hearing from you 🙂