Summer 2014 Bucket List for Kids

Did you see the adult version of a summer bucket list I made up to help me have a more intentional summer? Hopefully you may have gotten some new ideas and inspiration to write up a list that helps you get focused too. I also wanted to make up a list of fun ideas we all might enjoy doing with kids this summer. I’m so excited about them all, I will try to refrain from using exclamation points for each one! 😉
– Start our summer with our 3rd annual tradition of brunch at the Blueberry Cafe. I’m all about creating traditions with the kids and I’m happy to say this is one we’ve actually stuck to for hopefully 3 years now.
– Create a daily summer reading routine
– Create a daily summer devotional time with Exploring Grace Together: 40 Devotionals for the Family

– Family dates to the farmers market

– Catch fireflies
– Go berry picking at least once
– Make something new & different with the berries we’ve never made completely homemade, like a pie!
– Set up a backyard campout, with glo-sticks, lanterns, the works!
– Two words: Lemonade Stands!
– Two words: Ice cream trucks 😉
– Make healthy homemade popsicles
– Spend an afternoon at the library

– Host some neighborhood kids for outdoor games like this or this, just because I’ve always wanted to!

– Free & low cost community park activities

– Garden & nature journal all together with the girls’ The Nature Connection: An Outdoor Workbook for Kids, Families, and Classroomsbook and my own My Garden: A Five-Year Journal book

– Practice weekly acts of service together
– Home spa treatments like this onethis one, or this one
– American Girl crafts like this and mini food picnics for the American Girls with mini food like this

– Smash-booking with the girls so Emma can get her girly groove on with K&Company SMASH Cutesy Journal Gift Set and Natalie can catch up on her K&CompanySmash Folio, Retro Blue

– Learn some sewing together with the sweet, girly projects in Girl’s World: Twenty-One Sewing Projects to Make for Little Girls

– Fourth of July fun crafts like thisthisthis, and this … More ideas here:
– Kiddo cooking lessons
– Empower the kids weekly to practice their musical instruments, hone their talents and pursue their unique personal goals
– One-on-one simple dates with each kid that appeal to them, at least once each this summer
– Finally have that backyard luau we’ve always wanted to have.. why not? Life is short and summer is even shorter! 😉

– A few stolen moments for cloud watching and daydreaming most days

– Last but not least, hold all these hopes and dreams with open hands! There’s a reason this is called a bucket list 🙂 Let us be big dreamers yet model flexibility and contentment for our children, no matter what our days hold this summer!
Here’s to a magical summer full of memory making! What would you add to this list? Would love to hear about your summer plans in the comments!

Sharing with holleygerth.com today and Sometimes sharing with these friends

CommentLuv badge

48 Comments

1. Heather wrote:

Those are all amazing ideas! One that I would add is to make it to the farmers’ market every week. Sometimes it can be a little hectic because I want to get food and my littles want to run across the park to the playground. Finding a balance and realizing we don’t need to rush would be the keys to that 🙂

Posted 5.28.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

Yes & Yes! I knew I was forgetting something important and would be adding to this for days or weeks to come! haha Thanks for that! Enjoy your summer! : )

Posted 5.28.14 Reply
  2. Stasia wrote:

Now I think the little may need a bucket list too!

Posted 5.28.14 Reply
  3. Kristen D wrote:

This is a great idea!

Posted 5.29.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

Thanks Kristen, enjoy your summer!!

Posted 5.29.14 Reply
  4. Crystal wrote:

Fun! I’m going to have to steal a few of these to do with my girls. They are crafty and into spa treatments right now so those are definitely going on my list. Thanks for the ideas.

• Sybil Brun wrote:

Perfect! That’s exactly why I shared it, to help others think of ideas they may not have thought of it yet – and I’m checking out others’ bucket lists for the same reason! Always so fun to share inspiration with each other!

Posted 5.30.14 Reply
  5. I love the idea of a backyard campout with glow sticks! So fun… We don’t have fireflies here, but when I hear about them, they always seem a bit magical. We will definitely be making healthy homemade popsicles. It is so fun to eat popsicles in the summer. Thank you for sharing this great bucket list!

• Sybil Brun wrote:

Awe you’re so welcome! Here’s to an intentional summer of bonding & making memories!

6. Heather A wrote:

Stopping in from SITS FB link-up and I love your Bucket List ideas and Photo too! Summer is such a fun time of year, I should start thinking of asking my kids what they’d like to do this summer and make a bucket list. This is a great idea. Happy Friday!

• Sybil Brun wrote:

So glad you loved it! Wishing you a wonderful summer with your family! Thanks for visiting She Lives Free : )

Posted 6.1.14 Reply
  7. It looks like y’all have a fun Summer planned. I really need to make a list.

• Sybil Brun wrote:

Making a list and glancing at it weekly (or even daily), sure seems to help time slow down as we live life more intentionally! Wishing you a wonderful summer!

8. What a great list – I think I will borrow a few of these ideas for my list 🙂

9. MrsTee wrote:

Awesome List! I recently did a Summer Ten list for alink up and it really got me thinking on how we can make summer great in so many ways. I love the time set aside for devotions and reading…and EVERYone needs to have at least one luau in their lives 😉

• Sybil Brun wrote:

You made my day with your comment! : ) Yes we can choose a hopeful spirit to create greatness any time of year, especially summer with all it’s magic & wonder! I’m with you!! Everyone needs to experience at least one luau, haha! Thanks for visiting She Lives Free!

Posted 6.1.14 Reply
  10. So many great ideas! I’m definitely pinning this. I want to have an “intentional summer” as well. I’m ashamed to say I let my son play far too many video games last summer. Before I knew it, school was starting again. I’m determined to not let that happen again. Thanks for sharing!

• Sybil Brun wrote:

We’ve all been there I’m sure – but making a list and glancing at it weekly (or even daily), sure seems to help time slow down as we live life more intentionally! Wishing you a wonderful summer! Thanks for visiting She Lives Free : )

Posted 6.1.14 Reply
  11. Fantastic ideas! Summer vacation is still 2 weeks away for us, but I am anxious to make a bucket list with my kids.

Jamie
    Play to Learn Preschool

Posted 6.1.14 Reply
  12. I absolutely love this! You’ve inspired me to create my own summer bucket list (and make myself a priority!). Btw, thank you for stopping by my blog 🙂

• Sybil Brun wrote:

So glad you loved the list of ideas! Wishing you a wonderful summer with your family! Thanks for visiting She Lives Free : )

Posted 6.1.14 Reply
  13. How cute! I have a similar list on my blog from last week! Thanks for sharing!

• Sybil Brun wrote:

So glad you loved the bucket list of ideas! Wishing you a wonderful summer with your family! Thanks for visiting She Lives Free : )

Posted 6.1.14 Reply
  14. What a fun list! I may borrow a few of these ideas!

15. Leslie wrote:

This is a really great list. I’m going to try to make one too…it’ll be good for me and my kiddos!

• Sybil Brun wrote:

So glad you loved the bucket list of ideas, Here’s to intentional living! Wishing you a wonderful summer with your family! Thanks for visiting She Lives Free : )

Posted 6.1.14 Reply
  16. What a great list! You’ve inspired me to create one too. Thanks!

17. Jeanine wrote:

Really great list! This is awesome! Thanks for the ideas:)

Posted 6.1.14 Reply
  18. This is a great list of things.I’ll have to do some of these with my boys.

Posted 5.31.14 Reply

Posted 6.1.14 Reply
  19. I love the simple things on your list like fireflies and berry picking. Things we generally take for granted, but are some of the best parts of summer.

Posted 5.31.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

I agree – the simplest, sweetest moments are the best! Wishing you a wonderful summer with your family! Thanks for visiting She Lives Free : )

20. Kendra wrote:

Hooray! Kid ideas too! Now they can have their own lists too 🙂 Thanks friend

21. Kristin wrote:

I love these ideas, Sybil! I have lots of ideas of things I’d like to do with the kids this summer, but haven’t been intentional yet about writing them all down…thanks for the inspiration! 🙂

• Sybil Brun wrote:

So glad you loved the bucket list of ideas, Here’s to intentional living! Wishing you a wonderful summer with your family! Thanks for visiting, Kristin : )

Posted 6.1.14 Reply
  22. My sister does a bucket list with her three kids. Each family member writes things they want to do in the summer on popsicle sticks, they fill a bucket with sand, stick the stick in and as they are able they randomly pick a stick until they are all gone.

Posted 6.6.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

That is the coolest thing I have heard all day! Thanks so much for sharing that with me, I think I may just have to try that to reinforce kindness and good behavior around here : )

Posted 6.6.14 Reply
  23. Angela wrote:

I am excited to find your site and subscribe. I have a blog http://www.kidsbookfriends.com and feature kids’ books with correlating activities. Today’s fits your “platform” quite well: Once Upon A Memory, “Reminisce” http://wp.me/p4m4Tu-cB

Posted 6.6.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

Very neat, I will check it out! Thanks for visiting She Lives Free!

Posted 6.8.14 Reply