World Cancer Day

Hi there, hope your week is off to a great start! Did you happen to catch this commercial that aired during the Super Bowl? It’s just a simple, one minute commercial that will tug at your heart strings. I love how the couple says so little, though their faces say so much. Then at the closing, there is a call to celebrate survivors and those who support them on the road to recovery. Well done Chevy and American Cancer Society!

So just what IS World Cancer Day?

World Cancer Day takes place every year on February 4th and is the singular initiative under which the entire world can unite together in the fight against the global cancer epidemic. World Cancer Day is a chance to raise our collective voices in the name of improving general knowledge around cancer and dismissing misconceptions about the disease. To learn much more visit: worldcancerday.org. Now that we’ve talked about the what, let’s discuss the why.

Why is World Cancer Day important enough to devote a blog post to? Not only because national days of awareness and fundraising shine a spotlight on important issues, but the collective shout-out can speak volumes to those in the trenches who need to hear, “Hey. We see you. You matter and you will never be forgotten.”

Whenever we go through chronically draining and stressful circumstances, it can sometimes feel quite isolating as everyone around us seems to move on in life – meanwhile deep in the trenches, life seems to stutter and stall out. Sure, there may be alot of verbal support. Perhaps even some meals delivered.

But in the dark of night, no one may be there to comfort those awakened in a cold sweat wondering is this truly reality or could it all be just an awful nightmare. Maybe you can somehow relate because you’ve suffered the ramifications of some other scary diagnosis, a divorce, or a death in the family? Maybe you’ve experienced a devastating job loss or maybe your job search has drug on for many years with no end in sight? Maybe you find yourself drawn toward those hurting in a whole new way, after the hurt you have experienced yourself.

My family has not personally experienced cancer, but we have experienced other trials that have broken us wide open by a different, yet similar kind of suffering. This is where my heart for those living with cancer comes in. It is one of many trials that can touch every aspect of life for years at a time. Like so many of us, I have spent time in a season of life that feels like existing in survival mode,
so I very much want others currently in this season to know they are not as alone as they may sometimes feel. The need I had for someone to come alongside me and understand, has translated to a desire to come alongside others whose lives are deeply affected by their own suffering. This is why my girls and I have found it so rewarding to volunteer for a ministry called Cancer Hope in various capacities. This is one of the organizations I wrote about here.

Making rainbow loom bracelets for Cancer Hope’s Creations for Christ team

Watching a You-Tube tutorial on bracelet making
Yep, these kids love rainbow looming and they love to brighten others’ days with their creations
It doesn’t take any special skills and it doesn’t take alot of time to be a Cancer Hope volunteer. You can even volunteer completely from the comfort of your own home! There are many different ways to help within Cancer Hope alone, but there are also outreach ministries with a similar mission all over the world. I simply hoped to share just one example of how easy it can be to get involved with an organization devoted to loving others through their cancer experience.
If you would like to learn more about Cancer Hope, click here or here.

Looking for other ways to help? Here’s one great place to start: If you have a Facebook or Twitter account, you can turn your profile pictures purple to celebrate cancer survivors on World Cancer Day. Chevrolet will contribute $1 to the American Cancer Society for every purple profile, up to $1 million.
Read more here

If there is any way I can help or answer any questions about Cancer Hope, please let me know. Do you have any good ideas on how to support those living with cancer? Share in the comments below!

CommentLuv badge

30 Comments

1. jacquie wrote:

Great post and great organization. As a cancer survivor, I thank you:)

Posted 2.4.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

Jacquie, thank you so much for sharing! So kind of you to stop by! Wishing you blessings, hugs, and a happy, healthy 2014!

Posted 2.4.14 Reply
  2. Cancer has touched my life. I watched my parents suffer and die from it. My sister is a cancer survivor. Not to mention other family members and friends, some survivors, some not. Thanks for making me aware of this day.

Posted 2.4.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

Donna, I am humbled by your comment, your story, your willingness to share. Your words have blessed me because I am always reminded how precious life is when I hear the stories of others. I am glad you will be able to join in the celebration tomorrow because as the video said, it is all about celebrating survivors AND those who support them on the road to recovery. You will be in my thoughts tomorrow! Hope to see you here again!

Posted 2.4.14 Reply
  3. Arleen wrote:

I mam a breast cancer survivor. I am glad that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. That is the key, awareness and support for one another.

Posted 2.4.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

Yes! awareness and support are just invaluable! So happy to hear you are a SURVIVOR : ) You will be in my thoughts & prayers today!

Posted 2.4.14 Reply
  4. Beth wrote:

What a sweet post. Most of us have someone close who has or is a cancer patient or survivor. Thank you for sharing the moving commercial and the pictures of your daughters.

Posted 2.4.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

Thank you for your sweet & thoughtful comment Beth!

Posted 2.4.14 Reply
  5. Catarina wrote:

To do more to prevent cancer and help people going through it is something that really needs to be given more priority.

Compared to other deceases very little money is devoted to finding a cure for cancer. Sure the teqniques improve but by now scientists should have cracked to code and found a cure. But for some reason they have not. Is the pharmaceutical industry really interested in finding a cure? Or are they earning too much money from selling their imperfect and expensive cancer treatment drugs to want a cure?

Posted 2.4.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

It can be frustrating and discouraging! No doubt a result of living in a fallen world. May we all hope and pray today’s national day of awareness and fundraising brings about change for the better! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Catarina

Posted 2.4.14 Reply
  6. I didn’t know about World Cancer Day. Thanks for enlightening me. I love that you include practical ways to get involved.

Posted 2.4.14 Reply
  7. JeriWB wrote:

I was not aware of World Cancer Day, nor had I seen the Super Bowl commercial so thanks for sharing.

Posted 2.5.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

You are very welcome, thanks for visiting!

Posted 2.6.14 Reply
  8. My husband is a cancer researcher, with a concentration in mesothelioma and lung cancer. Cancer is many different diseases which is part of the reason why finding effective treatments (and, hopefully, cures) is a long process. I share some of Catarina’s cynicism about Big Pharma, but with government cutbacks on research funding, scientists in academia are having to turn to them to a greater extent for funding which means Big Pharma is to some extent calling the shots. Scary. Thanks for your good work.

Posted 2.5.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

Wow. Yes, scary but makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 2.6.14 Reply
  9. I know that offering support in whatever form to a cancer victim can make all the difference to them. I also know that there are simple ways sot get involved. I donate Money and items to American Cancer Society whenever I can. My Mom was a breast cancer survivor and so this resonated with me greatly. 🙂

Posted 2.5.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

Glad this was meaningful for you! Thanks for sharing about American Cancer Society!

Posted 2.6.14 Reply
  10. Bindhurani wrote:

I am saving money to donate for Cancer research. My hair is getting longer and will get a cut only after the money is saved enough to donate.

Posted 2.6.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

That is so awesome! Thanks for a truly inspirational comment! : )

Posted 2.6.14 Reply
  11. I have lost loved ones to cancer and there was a point in my life where it felt like cancer was going to take every other person I knew. Thank you for the great post and words of wisdom.

Posted 2.7.14 Reply
    • Sybil Brun wrote:

Wow Debra, my heart goes out to you! I can only imagine how hard that must have been. So grateful you found something redeeming here. Blessings to you!

Posted 2.7.14 Reply
  12. Jen Weaver wrote:

What a great organization. Thank you for sharing!

Posted 2.7.14 Reply
  13. Having lost both of my parents and two mothers-in-law to cancer, I know how devastating it can be. It seems like it’s affecting more and more people, too. We like to support Stand Up to Cancer to help with their research. Hopefully someday we can find a cure! #CommentLove #SITSBlogging

Posted 2.10.14 Reply
  14. Wendy wrote:

I’ve lost way too many loved ones to cancer, and watched way too many survivors suffer. I will be running for a friend in May 5K – she passed away at age 26 of duodenal cancer in 2011. Thank you for this info!

Posted 2.10.14 Reply
  15. I didn’t know it was World Cancer Day this month! That was also the first time I saw the Chevy survivors advert, it was beautiful when the sun came up.
    #sitsblogging

Posted 2.10.14 Reply
  16. Sylvia wrote:

What a beautiful commercial… The end gave me goosebumps. I, as many, have lost family to cancer, so I really appreciated this post. Thank you.

Posted 2.11.14 Reply
  17. Cancer is such a nasty beast! I love how your girls got involved giving support.

Posted 2.11.14 Reply